Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Jewish Star Season 2 Contestant: The one everyone knows and loves

Name: Mendel "the Sheichet" Markel

Age: 32

Marital status: Married + 4 children.

Residence: Pittsburgh, PA.

Contact: http://www.musicbymoshe.com/

Currently doing: Manager of shipping and billing manager at JET, (Jewish Educational Toys), teacher at Chabad of Fox Chapel Hebrew School, blogger at COLlive.com, writer at jewishmusicreport.com. Did I forget anything?

Musical roots: I can't remember that far back to when I started singing but I'm told from about a year old.

Musical inspiration: My earliest inspiration was Nichoach, which played constantly in my parent's home when I was growing up (the old vinyls). My singing in public though started as a bochur in Eretz Yisroel. This was due more than anything to the influence and friendship of chazzan Hershel Zucker. He was responsible for my realization that I have a musical gift and in my gaining the confidence to share it with others.

Music in your life: Let's just say that I find Sefirah and the 3 weeks physically painful.

Reality check: My musical ambition is B"H alive and well.

Favorite musicians: R' Shmuel Betzalel Althaus, Zalman Levin, Andy Statman, Yair Kalev just to name a few.

Favorite songs All depends on the day. Today my Chabad Nigunim favs have been the Dohkshitzer Nigun and the Nevler Asader Liseudosoh. Jewish music fave of the day is Anu by Yisroel Werdyger,

Plans post concert: Same as before the contest. Continue writing songs and continue progress on several music projects that I've begun working on.

A Jewish Star: A great way for new, unique and fresh artists to get out there. Glad to see lots of variety so far this year, hope to see many more submissions.



Reported by collive.com editied by thejewishteen

No comments:

Post a Comment