Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Jewish Star Season 2 Contestant: The one who has thejewishteens vote!

Name: Zalmy Levy

Age: 22

Location: Johannesburg, South Africa


Currently: Single and studying for rabbinic ordination (smicha).

Can be found on: Facebook

Music roots: From a very young age, I would sing my way through school corridors and record myself on a tape recorder singing Uncle Moishe songs. Since those early days, I can truthfully say, that not a day has gone by that song hasn't been part of my routine.

Musical instruments: Once I began to play guitar, the desire and pleasure to sing became even greater.

Inspiration:My inspiration came from a self realization that Hashem has blessed me with a talent. And as the Lubavitcher Rebbe once said, when G-d blesses someone with a talent, it's forbidden to squander it, but rather one must develop it to its extreme. As Chassidus explains, The essence of your talents is G-dliness. And as a Levi I feel an extra obligation to be mesameach Yidden.
I also received inspiration (lehavdil) from my voice trainer, the legendary Per Bristow, creator of the revolutionary Bristow Voice Method, which taught me the tue meaning of relaxation, when it comes to the vocal cords - which dramatically improved all aspects of my voice.

Role music plays in life: My biggest joy is not just singing, but also creating music. I love to sit with my guitar and compose melodies to inspire others in their avodas Hashem.

Reality check: Since the age of 16, I have composed almost a dozen songs, all as original and warm as I could possibly make them. I hope to share with the world one day.

Favorite musicians: Avraham Fried, Mordechai Ben David, Shloimy Gertner, Benny Friedman, Abie Rotenberg, The Rabbi's Sons and the list goes on.

Favorite songs: I love Avraham Fried and MBD's old time classics.

Plans after the contest: To compose, compose and compose! And together with my wooden companion, my guitar, to sit people around a bonfire or wherever, and warm their hearts with the language of the soul.

A Jewish Star: You are an amazing opportunity. Yasher Koach!

My Audition: This song was composed in honor of the Chasdei Soul II Soul Organization, which does so much good for children. Much of the song is based on Tanya (Igeret Hakodesh, Epistle 32) which speaks about the greatness of giving Tzedaka. This song was written in memory of my grandfather Avraham haLevi Ben Aaron Zalman.
A song written by Zalmy Levy after the Mumbai tragedy
This was originally reported by collive.com and edited by thejewishteen

No comments:

Post a Comment