Thursday, May 19, 2011

How to Ask Someone if There Jewish

Okay, so to get back to that sometimes offensive question, "Excuse me are you Jewish?" (Is the one I'm referring to.) I understand why people go to the mall and street corners and ask people if they are Jewish. They want to spread the light. They want to help another Jew. Okay fine. Great. Fantastic.


Plus chances are everyone involved in the situation will grow if you answer; "Yes I am Jewish." The person asking will grow by helping the Jew who says there Jewish. The Jew answering will grow by being exposed to this beautiful display of ahvaus yisroel. All in all if you will most likely never see the person again, go ahead and say; "excuse me are you Jewish." Unless you know the person somewhat, and have to continue seeing them on a regular basis then you should bagel them because if they are not Jewish, the situation could get very awkward.

The above method is relatively harmless. Unless you know the person somewhat, and have to continue seeing them on a regular basis then you should bagel them because if they are not Jewish, the situation could get very awkward.

One time I was on a soccer team, there was a new player from a New York. I got to know them and felt they were Jewish. I mean they were from Ny, had brown hair, really the ny accent sold me. Rookies mistake. Just because someone is from NY does not mean they are Jewish. Well I asked them if they were Jewish, I came out and just said, "Are you Jewish?" They weren't, and my teammate hardly talked to me for the rest of the season. Obviously they were offended and I deeply regret not having bageling them and saving the awkwardness afterwards.

Comments on this story? Questions? Feel free to comment below.

2 comments:

  1. Why would the question offend someone to the extent that they wouldn't talk to you for the rest of the season? That seems odd to me.

    (Why was it important for you to find out if they were Jewish?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Allow me to clarify,the question didn't offended someone to the extent that they wouldn't talk to me for the rest of the season, rather that they wouldn't go out of there way to do so. It offended them because some people get offended by being mistaken as Jewish.

    2. It was important to me to find out if they were Jewish because I was curious. I also like to meet other Jews that I have things in common with, like playing soccer. It would have made what was becoming a friendship even stronger.

    ReplyDelete