Sunday, May 29, 2011

Learning about the Holocaust in Public School Day 2

On Friday my World History class continued our unit on the Holocaust. We started off by talking about our homework packets. That took about 10-15 minutes. Our packet was something to do with China, or maybe Japan, I can't really remember what.

Next we watched a movie/documentary on a Holocaust survivors life. I found this very annoying because a lot of kids were not watching the video just like during any other unit. The problem? Learning about the Holocaust is not the same as learning about any other history unit, it gets people emotional, and is very important to learn about to ensure it never happens again. My teacher is teaching this unit just like any other unit except its not.

My teacher didn't show the most gory Holocaust documentary because my teacher felt that wouldn't be necessary. I think it is necessary. To understand the Holocaust you must see the pictures. You must see the disgusting heartbreaking pictures that I can barley stand to look at. It must be taught, and it must be showed.

Is anyone else learning about the Holocaust in school? Almost every year we learn about the Holocaust at the end of the year. And almost every year I get frustrated. Is anyone having the same kind of problem? Please tell me about it in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment